Legal Requirements

 Before you marry

With any wedding there is legal paperwork to attend to. As a registered civil celebrant., I have access to the NSW Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages online registration database. This means that completing and lodging the correct paperwork online is fast and efficient for you.

There are two forms you need to complete before getting married. They are:

  • Notice of Intended Marriage (Form 13)
  • The Declaration (Form 14)
During your first meeting with me, I will help you complete these forms and make sure that they are lodged within the notice period required before your wedding day.

Notice Required

The minimum notice required to submit your Notice of Intended Marriage and Declaration forms is one month and one day before your wedding day. The maximum notice is 18 months before your wedding day.

After you are Married

At the conclusion of your marriage ceremony, you will need to sign three (3) certificates:

  • An official certificate for registration purposes (Form 16). This is sent to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • A second official certificate which is kept in a register by the celebrant
  • A marriage certificate (Form 15) which you keep.
You must provide proof for the questions asked in the Notice of Intended Marriage form, so I will need to confirm that I have sighted originals or approved duplicates of some personal documents, for example, your passport of birth certificate. I will advise what is needed when you book you first meeting with me.